Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is and easy to make soup and it is great for those cold winter nights! Delcious if you love onions.
- 1 kg onion, peeled sliced into rings
- 75 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon bonox stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 -6 thick slices French baguettes
- 4 -6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, very finely chopped
- Heat the butter in a large pan over low heat. Add sliced onions and cook until soft, translucent and lightly browned, stirring often.
- Add the sugar and continue stirring until the onions are deep brown in colour. This may take around 20 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes. Add water and Bonox and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Top each slice of the baguette with a tablespoon of parmesan cheese. Toast baguette under a hot grill until golden brown.
- Serve baguette on top of the soup, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This is a great soup. I used white and red onions. Since I don't have bonox stock in Canada, I used beef bouillon powder (low sodium). It was perfect. It gave the soup a great taste. Yesterday I tried it with parmesan and dried parsley. It was very good. And tonight we ate it with emmental cheese. Both way are great. Thanks Tisme :) Made for Make my recipe tag game