Recipe by JustJanS
I have 10kg of onions in my cupboard, the same of potatoes and a ham bone I needed to use. Here's what I came up with and i must say it's very tasty.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, what a terrific soup JustJanS. My husband loved this, he had two bowls and went back and emptied the pot. It was lovely, rich, thick and full of flavor. I enjoyed the different depths of flavor in this soup. Made exactly as written wouldn't change a thing. I used Herbs de Provence as my seasoning of choice. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe, which we will be enjoying often.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 kg potato, peeled and diced about 3/4 inch
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence or 1 teaspoon seasoning, of your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- chopped parsley, to finish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium flame.
- Add the onions and cook gently for about 20 minutes or until well softened and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, stir well and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potato, ham, seasoning, stock, thyme and pepper; simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
- Add the peas about 10 minutes before the soup is cooked.
- Add the cream, serve, and sprinkle with the parsley.