Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have 10kg of onions in my cupboard, the same of potatoes and a ham bone I needed to use. Here's what I came up with and i must say it's very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 kg potato, peeled and diced about 3/4 inch
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence or 1 teaspoon seasoning, of your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- chopped parsley, to finish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium flame.
- Add the onions and cook gently for about 20 minutes or until well softened and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, stir well and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potato, ham, seasoning, stock, thyme and pepper; simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
- Add the peas about 10 minutes before the soup is cooked.
- Add the cream, serve, and sprinkle with the parsley.
Wow, what a terrific soup JustJanS. My husband loved this, he had two bowls and went back and emptied the pot. It was lovely, rich, thick and full of flavor. I enjoyed the different depths of flavor in this soup. Made exactly as written wouldn't change a thing. I used Herbs de Provence as my seasoning of choice. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe, which we will be enjoying often.
This soup is very easy to make and has a wonderful flavor. The first night I ate it I thought it was just ok, and then I realized I had forgotten to add the cream. I added it to the rest of the pot and what started out as a just an ok soup turned into something incredible tasting. I froze the leftovers so that I would be able to take with me to work...especially when it is cold and rainy. This is a keeper, thanks for creating it Jan.
I made this a while back and forgot to leave feedback. I had a ton of ham leftover from Easter and made this up with a few changes. I pretty much tossed everything in my slow cooker with some carrots and green beans instead of peas. Forgot to add the cream. It turned nicely. So, thanks for posting it.