Recipe by Chickee
From Sanitarium, put here for safekeeping! It said zucchini, but I hate zucchini so I replaced with carrots.
Top Review by Kiwi Kathy
Made for the Aussie / Kiwi Recipe swap #24. Good texture and easy to make, however I felt they were on the bland side. If I make them again I will use brown onions and add a cloe of garlic. Will also add the spices to the onion mixture near the end of the caramelsing process to unlock their taste.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 medium carrots, grated squeeze to remove excess water
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (from wholemeal bread)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lentils in a large pot of boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until brown and soft. Add brown sugar and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Place lentils, onion, carrot, breadcrumbs, flour, eggs and spices in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into patties.
- Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Makes 18 patties.