Recipe by English_Rose
A delicate phyllo shell holds caramelised red onion and melting goats cheese flavoured with thyme and garlic. Perfect as a dinner party appetizer.
Top Review by Coprtopd
You know that you've hit a winner when your guests pop these in their mouth and their eyes immediately light up. That's what happened to mine. They're simple, but oh so good. I made mine even simpler by putting the caramelized onions and cheese into pre-formed phyllo shells and then baking them. Perfectly bite-size and convenient.
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 sheets ready rolled phyllo pastry
- 12 ounces goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 435°F
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 25-30 minutes until soft and golden. Stir in the sugar, balsamic vinegar, Thyme and Garlic Granules. Leave to cool.
- Melt the remaining butter. Unroll the pastry sheets and cut each one into four. In a patty tin, layer two quarters on top of each other, brushing lightly with butter between the sheets and on top.
- Spoon 1/4 of the onions into the centre and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and onions to make 4 tarts. Place a slice of cheese on top of the onions on each tart. Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with butter.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the cheese is melting. Serve with a few salad leaves.