Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I originally got this recipe from the Australian Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, but I've since modified it to suit my tastes or to what is available at the time. The recipe will lend itself to all different kinds of fruit, you can also add some nuts. It is a super quick dessert that is perfect to impress your guests with.
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 4 bananas, ripe and sliced in half lengthways (or a can of apple or peach or pear halves, mixed berries etc, discard juice)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.79-29.58 ml brandy (or can use other complimentary liqueur instead)
- 29.58 ml toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to moderate - 200c.
- Cut pastry to size of baking pan or dish.
- Melt butter in a non stick pan. Add sugar and cook over a medium heat until the mixture is a caramel colour and the sugar has dissolved. Careful not to burn it. Remove from heat.
- Mix in brandy or liqueur (careful, it may sizzle and spit). Pour into baking dish. Put the fruit pieces in the dish, cut (flat) side down.
- Place pastry over top of fruit and tuck in the sides.
- Bake for 20 mins or until pastry has risen and is golden and crispy.
- Carefully invert the tarte Tatin onto a plate (fruit side up, with the pastry on the bottom). Serve immediately with a dollop of cream or ice cream, sprinkled with toasted almond flakes.
Oh my...this was amazing! So easy and quick. I used organic bananas and I didn't have any brandy so I used pure vanilla (1tsp). This could be very addicting. I plan to make this with fresh peaches this summer. Thanks for posting and sharing.