Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Superhealthy, low fat
- 500 g carrots, peeled and cut into long chunks
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 red onions, peeled and quartered with root intact
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Blanch carrots in a pan of boiling salted water for 3 mins, drain well and pat dry.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and oil.
- Fry the carrots, onions and thyme over a low heat for 30 mins until golden.
- Stir in the sugar and red wine and bubble for a few mins to boil off the alcohol.
- Add the vinegar; continue to cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and serve.
- Make up to 2 days ahead, stored in a covered container.
- Tip back into a pan and reheat or use a microwave.