Prep 30 mins
Cook 44 mins
Gooey caramel, chocolate chips and pecans.
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) package brownie mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 16 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°; position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Spray the bottom only of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix the brownie mix, oil, water, and eggs with a wooden spoon until just blended and all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips; spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-44 minutes or until pick comes out clean or almost clean (do not overbake).
- During last 10 minutes of baking, sprinkle the top with the pecans (so that they will toast).
- Remove form oven and immediately sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the caramels with milk until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle caramel over brownies and cool completely.
- Cut into squares.
These were excellent! In my book they're much better than the recipes using a German Chocolate cake mix. They were considerably less gooey, but gooey enough. I also loved that the pecans got a little toasted as it gave them a nice crunch. I