Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Our favorite sweet potato side dish. It's a great fall comfort food and easy to prepare with ingredients on hand. Enjoy!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled,in 1 in. chunks
- 2 -3 large tart apples, peeled,cored,cut in 1 in. chunks
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Melt butter in an oven safe casserole.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix well.
- Add the apples and potatoes.
- Stir well to thoroughly coat with the caramel mixture.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cover, stir again, and bake for 10 more minutes, or until caramel is thickened and the potatoes are tender.
This is wonderful!!! I made it for Thanksgiving dinner, and had no leftovers. I did check them at 40 minutes and baked about 30 minutes more. I am not sure if it was because my chunks were to big, or my oven was off. I smells a little like apple pie when baking so that was a plus too. We will be having this one often. I got requests to make it for Christmas dinner too.
This is a delicious and flavorful way to prepare sweet potatoes. The tart apples add a nice flavor to the dish. I used 4 quite large, very tart apples (instead of the 2-3)and did NOT increase the amount of sugar and it was still sweet enough -- and added a little more flavor. A keeper!
This was like having dessert as a side dish. I was surprised that 2 T of butter and brown sugar (I made 1/2 recipe) was so effective at carmelizing all that sweet potato and apple. Delicious! I'm filing this under dessert.