Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a new take on the standard pineapple upside-down cake. Brown sugar caramel and walnuts top a super moist banana cake. From the March 2008 issue on Bon Appetit.
Top Review by hannahactually
This cake is absolutely FABULOUS. Moist & sinfully delicious! However, I would recommend NOT using the topping portion of the recipe. After reading the review here & on the Bon Appetit website, it seems that it's too conducive to very messy baking. I just did 1/2 c butter & 1/2 c brown sugar in a saucepan, poured it into a 9 in springform pan, sprinkled nuts & the bananas over the sauce, and then layered the cake batter & baked it. It turned out beautifully. A totally impressive and satisfying dessert. Thanks so much for sharing!
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup (Karo)
- 3⁄4 cup walnut halves or 3⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (2 to 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray 8 inch round cake pan with 2 inch high sides with nonstick spray.
- Bring butter,sugar and corn syrup to boil in medium saucepan, stirring constantly until butter melts:boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in nuts;spread topping in prepared pan and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift first four ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until blended.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed bananas,sour cream,rum and vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients just until combined.
- Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut around cake and place platter over pan. Holding pan and platter together, turn over.
- Let stand 5 minutes then gently lift off pan.
- Cool at least 15 minutes for topping to set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.