1 hr 26 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a new take on the standard pineapple upside-down cake. Brown sugar caramel and walnuts top a super moist banana cake. From the March 2008 issue on Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup (Karo)
- 3/4 cup walnut halves or 3/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (2 to 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- 2Spray 8 inch round cake pan with 2 inch high sides with nonstick spray.
- 3Bring butter,sugar and corn syrup to boil in medium saucepan, stirring constantly until butter melts:boil for 1 minute.
- 4Stir in nuts;spread topping in prepared pan and let cool completely.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Sift first four ingredients into medium bowl.
- 8Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until blended.
- 9Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed bananas,sour cream,rum and vanilla.
- 10Beat in dry ingredients just until combined.
- 11Spoon batter into pan.
- 12Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- 13Cool 15 minutes.
- 14Cut around cake and place platter over pan. Holding pan and platter together, turn over.
- 15Let stand 5 minutes then gently lift off pan.
- 16Cool at least 15 minutes for topping to set.
- 17Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel-Walnut Upside-Down Banana Cake
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.7
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 154.4 mg
- Sodium 473.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 57.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g