Recipe by evelyn/athens
OK, these have to be tried to be believed - the base is a fudgey-brownie topped with a fantastic caramel and walnut (pecans or almonds can be subbed) concoction that you allow to set, not bake. These will be the first to go on the cookie tray.
Top Review by I'mPat
Made this for DS recreation groups Christmas party and have just delivered it to them - well I'd hardly put it down and they just had to taste test before it went on the table. There were sighs of hmmmm and yummmm and if there were more stars to give you would be getting them. I got 38 bars (squares) out of the recipe and used pecans. Made for 123 Hit Wonders 2007D. Thank you evelyn/athens for a keeper.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups walnuts or 3 cups pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Make base: Line bottom of greased 13 X 9 inch pan with wax paper (cut to fit), grease paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter with cocoa and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat, beat in brown sugar and egg; stir in flour, salt and vanilla.
- Spread in baking pan and bake for 10 minutes or just until firm to touch and pulls away slightly from sides.
- Let cool.
- Make topping: In a saucepan, melt butter; add brown sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, until it reaches hard-ball stage (250F).
- Remove from heat and add cream and walnuts carefully, stirring gently.
- Bring to a boil and boil until it reaches soft-ball stage (240F).
- Remove from heat, let cool 1 minute, stir in rum.
- Pour over base, spreading evenly.
- Let cool, chill, covered with foil, 2 hours, or until firm.
- Run a thin knife around edge of pan; turn out onto cutting board and cut into 30 bars.
- Store bars, separated by sheets of wax paper, in an airtight container, chilled, for up to 1 week.