I cut this recipe out of the Sunday coupons 5+ years ago. I make them every Christmas for gift giving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, sugar and egg.
- Cut in ½ cup margarine until crumbly.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Reserve 2 cups of crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture firmly into a greased and floured 13x9 in pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan over low heat melt caramels with sweetened-condensed milk and remaining ¼ cup margarine.
- Pour over prepared crust and top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cool and cut into bars.
- Store at room temperature.