Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Beaurtiful squares with pretty red berries running throughout. Take these out when the edges get dark. The center will set up as the pan cools off. From Southern Living brownies and squares pamphlet. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (may substitute about 1/3 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup uncooked regular oats (old fashioned)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup caramel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Stir together cranberries and 1 tbls. sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine remaining 4 tbls. suagr, 1 cup flour, baking soda, oats, and brown sugar. Stir in melted butter until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup flour mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 8" square pan.
- Bake at 350*F. for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with dates, pecans, and reserved cranberry mixture. Stir together caramel topping and 2 tbls. flour in a small bowl; spoon over top. Sprinkle with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake at 350*F. for 26-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
- Makes 16 squares. Enjoy!