Recipe by NorthwestGal
I saw this demonstrated in a YouTube video, prepared by Chef John of foodwishes.com. It sounded so good, so I jotted down the ingredients and instructions. I made it immediately, and it was fabulous. It's about the only apple pie I make any longer, and I thought others would like to make it, too. Use whatever apples you like (Chef John prepared his pie using Gala apples, but I prefer Granny Smith apples). I also peel my apples, but chef John sliced his apples with the peels intact.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely loved this pie, & will be keeping the recipe on hand for more of the making! I got a bit carried away this time around, but since I had 'em, I used 2 Granny Smiths, 2 Gala & 2 Fuji apples, & then followed the recipe right on down! Many thanks for sharing the recipe for this outstanding pie! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 baking apples, cored and sliced (I prefer Granny Smith apples, Chef John uses Gala apples)
Directions See How It's Made
- Press bottom crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Place pie pan on foil-lined baking sheet (to catch spills during baking); set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring butter, flour, water, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn off heat; set pan aside.
- Place top crust on cutting board. Using a pizza cutter, cut crust into 8 strips.
- Place apples in the bottom crust, slightly mounded in the center. Cover apples with the cut dough strips, with four strips across and four strips vertical, weaving them in a lattice pattern if you wish.
- Fold edges of bottom crust over the lattice edges to seal, then crimp (or pinch) edges of crust, making a scalloped edge on pie crust.
- Spoon caramel sauce evenly over top crust, being sure to completely cover the top crust with caramel sauce.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, to start caramelization. Reduce heat to 350F and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Let cool completely before slicing.