Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was in a church recipe book. I often make this when I have something else in the oven since it doesn't take up too much room or time.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Cream shortening (I use butter), add sugar, beaten egg yolks and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt (recipe asks for a pinch, but Zaar will not let me put that in) and vanilla.
- Spread in an 8" square greased pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then add brown sugar and spread over top.
- Heat oven to 350F and bake for 20-30 minutes.