Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are very popular all over Britain and can often be found in cafes, served with morning coffee or afternoon tea.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- To make the base, place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the cornflour and plain flour, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Press into a greased and lined 7 x 11 shallow cake tin and bake for 25 minutes or until firm.
- To make the filling, place the butter, brown sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar melts and the ingredients are combined.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Beat in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla essence.
- Pour the filling over the base and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the filling and set aside until firm, then cut into squares.
- Store at room temperature in a cookie tin or airtight container.
This recipe is great. I love these little squares with tea.
A note to the prior reviewer who said that cornflour is masa. This is incorrect. Cornflower in British English is actually cornstarch. You need cornstarch for this recipe.
WOW! This is incredible! The only chocolate in the house was a bag of Dove dark miniature hearts. I think I'll use Hershey's milk chocolate next time. But this is a terrific recipie! I can see why they're in all the tea shops. They weren't invented yet when I was there because I didn't see them then, but OOOH! I think I need another..... Next time I'll bake it a little less, maybe 20 minutes and 15. The shortbread is very crunchy and I think I prefer a little tenderer cookie. The edges of the carmel layer are chewey and crunchy--delicious! We'll see how they age and mellow--if they last till tomorrow. The cook keeps going back for samples! (LOL) This is a great one! Sorry, (not really) this is not diet fare. Great with hot tea or ice cold milk!
It's millionaire's shortbread!! I made this for a cake sale in school and it was sold out within 2 minutes. Very rich and fairly expensive but totally worth it.