These are very popular all over Britain and can often be found in cafes, served with morning coffee or afternoon tea.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- To make the base, place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the cornflour and plain flour, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Press into a greased and lined 7 x 11 shallow cake tin and bake for 25 minutes or until firm.
- To make the filling, place the butter, brown sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar melts and the ingredients are combined.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Beat in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla essence.
- Pour the filling over the base and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the filling and set aside until firm, then cut into squares.
- Store at room temperature in a cookie tin or airtight container.