1/2 Photos of Caramel Spice Pear Butter
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
If you like making home-made preserves, then this easy to prepare Pear Butter is just for you. I found this recipe in an old Home Canning book many years ago and have been making batches every year. There's extra flavor richness in this pear butter that is contributed by the spices and some caramelized sugar. Enjoy!
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the pears but do not peel or core them; slice pears into a heavy saucepan (at least 5-quart size).
- 2Add water, cover, and cook until tender (about 30 minutes).
- 3Remove from heat and press the pears through a colander or a food mill.
- 4Measure the pear pulp (you should have about 8 cups) and return to the pan.
- 5Using a frying pan, heat 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, stirring until it melts and caramelizes to a medium brown color.
- 6Pour immediately into the pear pulp (the syrup will sizzle and harden, but dissolve again as the preserves cook).
- 7Add the remaining sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.
- 8Cook uncovered, until thick (about 45 minutes).
- 9Stir frequently as it begins to thicken to prevent it from sticking.
- 10Stir in lemon juice just before removing it from heat.
- 11Pour hot mixture into steralized 1/2 pint jars, put on lid, and crew band tightly.
- 12Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Spice Pear Butter
Serving Size: 1 (4381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.0
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 179.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 162.2 g
- Protein 1.1 g