Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have a house full of picky kids, so I end up with lots of open boxes of cereal. This works with pretty much any cereal you'd want to eat. I've used Kix, Apple Jacks, Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs, even Life! I like the stick or mini pretzels the best. I'd bet the big sourdough ones, crushed a bit of course, would be really good too. Please please please be very careful with the boiling syrup. Keep an ice bath nearby in case you spill on yourself. Any seasoned candy maker knows how horrible candy burns are.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light Karo syrup
- 1 cup Rice Chex
- 1 cup Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup pretzel
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- Place butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup in sauce pot and boil for 6 minutes without stirring.
- Combine 4 cups of any combination of ingredients you want in large bowl.
- Pour hot butter/sugar/Karo mixture over and mix well.
- Spread mixture on waxed paper to cool and break into small chunks.Store in airtight container. Can be frozen.
Delicious! I made exactly as listed in the ingredient list, as I happened to have those exact cereals on hand. For boiling the syrup, I brought to a boil on med-high heat, then reduced to med-low to keep at a boil.
Great way to use up odds and ends in the pantry. I used a dark brown sugar so my caramel came out pretty dark, but so tasty!
WARNING: This is a snack you can't stop munching on! I doubled the recipe to accomadate my side of the family. I also added Dulce de Leche cheerios! Our family get together isn't until tomorrow, so I hope the snack lasts until then:)