Recipe by Dropbear
Neighbourhood Classic - If your mum could make it perfect, she was a legend. Got to admit, Auntie Kay made the best (don't tell mum). A Caramel Slice with just the right amount of coconut in a rich and just-crumbly-enough base - where the caramel is gooey but holds its shape and the chocolate is rich but easy to cut into
Top Review by aria_95
I'm wondering whether the first butter and flour amounts on this recipe are transposed? I've done the numeric conversions from grams to US cups and triple-checked the figures, but the base I'm baking up by following the directions as-is looks like soup. There's no way it would firm up to support the caramel with only 10 min. additional baking time. I've also compared this recipe to others on the site for Caramel Slice and the butter:flour ratio seems very out of proportion.
- 225 g unsalted butter
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 90 g desiccated coconut (1 cup)
- 110 g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
- 100 g brown sugar
- 400 ml condensed milk (1 tin)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 g 70% dark chocolate
- 15 g unsalted butter, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt 125g of the butter. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add coconut, caster sugar and melted butter and stir until well combined.
- Press the mixture firmly into the base of tin, place in oven and bake for 12 minutes or until light golden.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining butter, brown sugar, condensed milk, golden syrup and vanilla extract in a medium size saucepan over a low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, bring to the boil then continue to cook, stirring over a low heat, for a further 5 minutes or until light golden. Remove from heat and pour evenly over base.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once caramel is cool, place chocolate and the extra butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring occasionally until chocolate has melted. Spread chocolate evenly over the caramel.
- Refrigerate till the chocolate has set, cut into squares.