Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice slice that will make anyone with a sweet tooth happy.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 125 g butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125 g butter, melted,extra
- 2 (400 g) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 125 g good quality chocolate (I prefer dark)
- 60 g Copha (vegetable shortening)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Put first 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Place in a 20x30cm cake tin lined with baking paper and bake for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Combine filling ingredients and, pour over cooked base and place it in the oven again for 20 minutes or until it is golden.
- Place in the fridge until cold.
- Next place chocolate and copha in a saucepan and stir until it is melted.
- Cool a little before spreading over slice.
- Put back in the fridge until firm and cut into 24 squares.
I agree with muffles that the base was much too greasy so I will experiment next time, using maybe a third less butter. The crust can be crumbly because once you pour the caramel on top, it will hold it all together. I love anything caramel! I didn't line my pan like the recipe suggested and it stuck all around the edges. Lesson learned!
Mixed reviews from the family for this one. Everyone agreed the caramel filling was delicious , but the base seemed too fatty . Might try more of a shortbread base but keep the caramel filling next time.
This is extra special yummo! Just put a tray under the slice in the oven in case it bubbles over, like mine did. This may however, have been because I used too small a tray.