Recipe by Susie T
A nice slice that will make anyone with a sweet tooth happy.
Top Review by StickyToffee
I agree with muffles that the base was much too greasy so I will experiment next time, using maybe a third less butter. The crust can be crumbly because once you pour the caramel on top, it will hold it all together. I love anything caramel! I didn't line my pan like the recipe suggested and it stuck all around the edges. Lesson learned!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 125 g butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125 g butter, melted,extra
- 2 (400 g) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 125 g good quality chocolate (I prefer dark)
- 60 g Copha (vegetable shortening)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Put first 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Place in a 20x30cm cake tin lined with baking paper and bake for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Combine filling ingredients and, pour over cooked base and place it in the oven again for 20 minutes or until it is golden.
- Place in the fridge until cold.
- Next place chocolate and copha in a saucepan and stir until it is melted.
- Cool a little before spreading over slice.
- Put back in the fridge until firm and cut into 24 squares.