Recipe by bevs kitchen
Shortbread with a caramel layer topped with chocolate; heaven in a bar. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort. Do not be put off by the list of ingredients as you are making 3 items to become 1 deliciously fattening slice. I usually have a queue of family and workmates waiting for it.
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 8 ounces butter or 8 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 tablespoons syrup
- 1 (410 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces chocolate
- 1 ounce butter
Directions See How It's Made
- BASE (first 3 ingredients):.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the flour and stir to make a mixture that is soft and will go together when squashed.
- Lightly knead and then roll out or place into a deep Swiss roll tin.
- Press into place with the palm of your hand until even.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes gas 4.
- Cool in the tin.
- FILLING (middle four ingredients):.
- Place the butter, sugar, syrup, and condensed milk into a pan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once boiling keep on a slow boil stirring all the time for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Caramel should be thick and golden.
- Allow to cool.
- When cool pour over the biscuit mixture and leave to set.
- TOPPING (last 2 ingredients):.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water.
- Spread over top of the caramel layer.
- Cut into squares or fingers once set.
- Do not be put off by the stages; very easy and worth the wait. It looks like you have been in the kitchen and slaving over the cooker for hours. You will get compliments with this one.