bevs kitchen's Note:
Shortbread with a caramel layer topped with chocolate; heaven in a bar. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort. Do not be put off by the list of ingredients as you are making 3 items to become 1 deliciously fattening slice. I usually have a queue of family and workmates waiting for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces butter or 8 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 tablespoons syrup
- 1 (410 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1BASE (first 3 ingredients):.
- 2Cream butter and sugar.
- 3Add the flour and stir to make a mixture that is soft and will go together when squashed.
- 4Lightly knead and then roll out or place into a deep Swiss roll tin.
- 5Press into place with the palm of your hand until even.
- 6Prick all over with a fork.
- 7Bake in the oven for 25 minutes gas 4.
- 8Cool in the tin.
- 9FILLING (middle four ingredients):.
- 10Place the butter, sugar, syrup, and condensed milk into a pan and bring slowly to a boil.
- 11Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- 12Once boiling keep on a slow boil stirring all the time for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 13Caramel should be thick and golden.
- 14Allow to cool.
- 15When cool pour over the biscuit mixture and leave to set.
- 16TOPPING (last 2 ingredients):.
- 17Melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water.
- 18Spread over top of the caramel layer.
- 19Cut into squares or fingers once set.
- 20Do not be put off by the stages; very easy and worth the wait. It looks like you have been in the kitchen and slaving over the cooker for hours. You will get compliments with this one.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Shortcake or Millionaire's Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.0
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 340.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 8.4 g