Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Shortbread with a caramel layer topped with chocolate; heaven in a bar. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort. Do not be put off by the list of ingredients as you are making 3 items to become 1 deliciously fattening slice. I usually have a queue of family and workmates waiting for it.
- BASE (first 3 ingredients):.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the flour and stir to make a mixture that is soft and will go together when squashed.
- Lightly knead and then roll out or place into a deep Swiss roll tin.
- Press into place with the palm of your hand until even.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes gas 4.
- Cool in the tin.
- FILLING (middle four ingredients):.
- Place the butter, sugar, syrup, and condensed milk into a pan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once boiling keep on a slow boil stirring all the time for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Caramel should be thick and golden.
- Allow to cool.
- When cool pour over the biscuit mixture and leave to set.
- TOPPING (last 2 ingredients):.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water.
- Spread over top of the caramel layer.
- Cut into squares or fingers once set.
- Do not be put off by the stages; very easy and worth the wait. It looks like you have been in the kitchen and slaving over the cooker for hours. You will get compliments with this one.
This is the best caramel shortbread ever, so easy to make and my friends all adore it!
Kids give it 5, but when I make it again I will half the shortbread and double the chocolate topping. Call me fussy, but I like it to be 3 equal layers!
easy to make and the family loved them