Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Donna Hay Magazine. Serve with ice cream or cream.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened (80g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons plain all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- To make the pudding, beat the sugar, butter and vanilla in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a square oven proof dish and place on a baking tray.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the water, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup and flour until combined.
- Spoon the sauce over the pudding batter and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and set.
VERY GOOD !! To be honest, I am not a fan of molasses but I figured I would give this a try. Well, IT WAS GREAT !! Easy to prepare. It made for a great dessert last night.
Delicious! We all loved this! I cooked mine about 10 minutes longer than the recipe stated but this was perfect and complemented the chicken we had it with very nicely. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often!
My husband just loved this. He really likes molasses, so that just added something for him. He said it reminded him of his mother's Poor Mans Pudding. Everything came together nicely. Made for ZWT 3. :)