Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I absolutely love these sweet treats!
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup light cream or 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg or 1 pinch clove
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butterscotch extract (optional)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, grated (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup butterscotch chips, finely chopped in food processor
- 1 egg white, whisked
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line top sheet of doubled up baking sheets with parchment paper or line 8 tuna tins with muffin liners and spray inner sides with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, place the flour and butter and pulse to break up butter.
- Add sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg or cloves and pulse to combine.
- Turn out dough into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and stir in cream, vanilla, butterscotch extract and egg.
- Stir to make a soft dough.
- Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Scoop onto baking sheet or into prepared tins.
- Brush tops with egg white and add ground butterscotch chips.
- Bake until browned - 16-18 minutes.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar when cool.
These scones had a nice flavor. The instructions were a little confusing, cream is listed twice in the ingredients but the instructions only mention it one time. I added 1 cup of cream with the egg and extracts, and after mixing, I decided not too use the other 3/4 cup of cream. I felt it would be too runny and wouldn't form a dough. Also, I patted out the dough, on a sprayed baking sheet, into a 3/4" thick circle. I then cut the circle of dough into 8 wedges, separated them slightly, and baked them as directed. The chopped butterscotch pieces on the top of the scones started to get dark halfway through the baking time, so I covered them lightly with foil. My family enjoyed these scones and I will be making them again. Thank you for sharing this recipe.