Caramel Sauce With White Sugar
- Add the sugar and 1/4 cup of the water to a small saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium-low flame and cook, stirring, until the sugar just starts to turn dark brown, around 10 to 15 minutes.
- The color should be roughly that of black coffee, and the sugar will start to lightly smoke.
- Remove from heat and immediately and carefully pour the remaining 1/2 cup water into the caramelized sugar.
- Be prepared for a lot of noise and boiling. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for several weeks.