- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt ((add 1/4 tsp to start and taste - adjust to suit your preference))
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald the cream in a heavy saucepan.
- Turn off heat.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugars and water.
- Cover the pot and place it over medium high heat until the sugar melts and bubbles, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the cover and occasionally swirl the pan or stir the mixture until the syrup is a golden amber color, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Careful not to overcook.
- The caramel can turn from amber to burnt in seconds!
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour in the warm cream.
- Bring to a boil, continuing to stir constantly.
- Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, add the vanilla extract, salt and butter, and stir until the butter melts and the sauce is smooth.
- Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
- Reheat in a pan of simmering water or a microwave.