Recipe by ElaineM
You can use this on so many different things. By adjusting the cooking time, you can make it as thick as you like according to what you are going to use it on. I like to make it thicker to use on ice cream and thinner for desserts. I often double the recipe so I have some left over for later.
Top Review by cinder again
I made a large batch of this sauce yesterday, for a relay for life fundraising/ "Make your own Sundaes" event. I made two large batches, since I wasn't sure if I doubled it what would happen. It's delicious! The recipe was easy and clear and I did boil it for 5 minutes, because once you add the evaporated milk, it thins out a bit. Now that it's cold, it's thick, so I'd follow the recipe exactly. It will be great on apples, too! Thanks!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine butter, brown sugar, water, and salt in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Bring to boil for 3 to 5 minutes depending upon thickness desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in evaporated milk and vanilla.