Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This sauce is intended to be used with my Caramel Bread Pudding recipe (posted separately), but it's good for a lot more things. Not the least of which is being poured over ice cream!
- 18 tablespoons butter (2 sticks + 2T)
- 3 cups light brown sugar (22 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄8 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix cream, corn syrup and vanilla in a measuring cup.
- In a large saucier or sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add brown sugar.
- Boil a few minutes until very frothy and just starting to darken.
- Remove from heat, add cream mixture and whisk until smooth. Should make about 4 cups.
OMG - this is just FABULOUS!! I only made a 1/2 cup serving as I didn't want too much of a temptation, and I could have eaten the whole 1/2 cup myself. Very rich and creamy flavor ~ served over Molten Lava Cakes - Gluten Free and vanilla ice cream ~ YUM! Thanks for posting ~ made for Spring PAC 2010!
Ridiculously good! I've only made caramel once before, and that was way back in high school chemistry class.... and I ruined it pretty badly. I was worried about making this, and I really thought I ruined it too when the caramel just sizzled and popped like crazy when I combined it with the cream and corn syrup. It all came together in the end though after a long while of whisking, and I was left with the best caramel sauce I've ever had. Thanks for sharing. [Made & Reviewed for PAC Fall 2013]