Recipe by Carmen B.
Here is a sauce that is going to curl your toes up into heaven. You decide how to use it. Hot on ice cream, on hot apple pie, or even plain cheese cake. I used a dark rum, but maybe Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum could work also and kick it up a notch.
Top Review by Queen Roachie
I botched a loaf of strawberry-banana bread and made bread pudding out of it... and this was the perfect topping. Not too "rummy," but very flavorful and sweet. I cut the recipe in half to use ingredients I have. I tried this one cause I never have rum flavoring or extract in the house and this was the first recipe that didn't use those... Glad I found this one! Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄3 cups light cream
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter, NOT margarine
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir in cream, water and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly (mixture may looked curdled. Not to worry).
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and rum (have a shot for yourself).
- Let mixture stand at room temperature until cooled.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.