6 hrs 15 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional) or 2 tablespoons chocolate, miniature semisweet pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup or 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- 2In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- 3Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- 4To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- 5Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.).
- 6To make caramel rolls, use 1/4 of the above recipe.
- 7On a floured surface roll or pat dough into a 6 inch square. Melt 1 teaspoon margarine or butter, brush atop dough. In a bowl combine sugar or brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over dough. If desired, sprinkle dough with nuts or chocolate pieces. Roll up dough starting from any side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut roll into 6 slices.
- 8Melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and light corn syrup or maple-flavored syrup. Cook and stir just till blended. Pour into greased 8X4X2 loaf pan. Sprinkle nuts evenly in the bottom of pan.
- 9Place slices cut side down in loaf pan. Cover, let rise in a warm place till nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 375 oven about 20 minutes or till golden.
- 10Invert rolls onto a wire rack or serving plate. Makes 6 rolls.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Rolls from OAMC Easy Mix Yeast Bread Dough for 2
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.8
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 295.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 8.8 g