- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the rice under cold water until it runs clear; drain. Combine remaining ingredients.
- Stir in the rice and transfer to a buttered baking dish. Bake in a slow oven (275F) for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, until rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir every 30 minutes during cooking and add more milk if necessary.
- When ready, the pudding should be a rich, caramel color and a golden crust should have formed. Serve hot or cold.