Recipe by Diana #2
Taken from "The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook", written by Lucy Maud Montgomery's granddaughter Kate Macdonald. I am posting this as it appears in the original book, which was written as a tribute to her father Stuart Macdonald (Montgomery's son). The recipes were written with precise instructions, geared for young cooks. All recipes were apparently tested by a 12 year old cook, with perfect results. Quote from the book: "Diana, fancy if you can my extreme horror at finding a mouse drowned in that pudding sauce!" (from Anne of Green Gables XVI) "If you have any pudding sauce left over, don't forget - like Anne did - to cover it tightly. Other recipes are available in a cookbook prepared by chef #756627 - book #243014 *NOTE*: Posting to add to the cookbook. I have not personally made this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- salt, pinch of
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Equipment You Will Need:.
- measuring cups.
- measuring spoons.
- small saucepan.
- wooden spoon.
- Combine the brown sugar, flour, and salt in the small saucepan.
- Very gradually add the boiling water and stir with the wooden spoon.
- Over low heat stir the mixture until it is thick and creamy - about 5 minutes.
- When the sauce is thick, remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Let the butter melt completely.
- Serve warm over Marilla's Plum Pudding.