Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Directly from Hungrygirl.com Flexible for vegans, adaptable for IBD sufferers & diabetics (I.E. my house) Easily doubled
- 2 cups moist-style yellow cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute or 1⁄3 cup energ egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup (or not)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar, in the raw or 2 teaspoons stevia, equivalent
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for topping
- 3 cubes chewy caramels (about 1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons light vanilla soymilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of water. Whip with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Place pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes (until cupcakes have puffed up but still appear a little gooey on top).
- Once cupcakes are cool enough to handle, arrange them closely on a plate so that the edges are touching. Place caramel and soymilk in a tall microwave-safe glass or dish (mixture will bubble and rise when heated).
- Microwave at medium power for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir mixture vigorously until smooth and thoroughly blended. (Return to microwave for 30 seconds at medium heat if caramel has not fully melted.) Immediately drizzle caramel sauce over cupcakes.
Never tasted a cake like this before! Texture of the cake is exactly in the name: a cross between pudding & cake, very soft, moist and a bit runny, almost like its undercooked, but definitely in a good way! The pumpkin and caramel flavor combination makes these little cakes irresistable! Hungry Girl has done it again! Delish!