Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was my grandmothers recipe. The popcorn makes a nice gift.
- 6 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring all ingredients, except popcorn, to a boil stirring constantly.
- Boil five minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- Stir well.
- Add to popped corn and stir until well coated.
- Put into shallow pans and bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Break up and store in air tight container.
We have been using this recipe for years, and I can't believe I never rated it! This is my top favorite recipe for caramel popcorn--so easy and tastes incredible. It's buttery, sweet, salty, crisp and just plain sinful. My only complaint is once you eat the first handful, it's difficult to stop. I could eat the entire batch by myself. :)
This was the 1st time I ever made carmel corn & wanted a recipe that didn't take forever & a day. I picked the right one, plus - - the corn was awesome. Compliments to you!
I read that 4 cups of popped popcorn equals a quart. So take it from there for equivalents. Hope that helps.