Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Caramel Pie Filling
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch with 3/4 cups water. Beat the egg yolks and stir them into the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook 3/4 cup sugar over low to medium heat until it is completely melted and a golden-brown colour. Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and the remaining 3/4 cup water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir the until butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Stir the cornstarch and egg mixture into the saucepan and bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring it constantly. Continue to boil slowly until the mixture thickens.
- Take the mixture off the heat, stir it until smooth, and let it cool. Stir in the vanilla and pour the pilling into a baked pie crust.