Top Review by AudioLovingFemme
Now, the meringue was a fabulous recipe. The huge problem is the directions. I believe this pie probably is good... but the direction incredibly non-specific. I attempted to follow this recipe exactly, but I found myself constantly questioning when to do certain things or how one would go about it. The pie tasted good, but it was horribly gooey...very liquid-like. I'm sure it's a good recipe, but the directions... are crap. I would like to request an edit to these directions to make them "dummy-proof". Right now..there are a lot of words and steps missing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- to taste vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour and 1 cup sugar.
- Add egg yolks; beat until smooth.
- Add milk, butter and vanilla; set aside.
- Brown remaining 1/2 cup sugar in skillet; add 1/2 cup hot water.
- Then add to flour mixture, stirring well. Cook until thick.
- Pour in baked pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well.
- Add vanilla.
- Cover with meringue and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until golden brown.