Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
"Caramel, pecan and pumpkin in a pie - what's not to love?" I made and took this pie to share at Thanksgiving and I must say, it was delicious! The caramelized topping added real dimension to this classic pumpkin flavor. Adding a 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice really makes for a special pie crust on this beauty. Another mouth-watering recipe from BHG.com
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup light cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork.
- Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of the remaining water at a time, until all dough is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball of dough with hands.
- Roll dough from center to the edges forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch dough.
- Trim to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under the extra and flute the edge. Do not prick pastry.
- In a large bowl stir together eggs, pumpkin, and half-and-half or milk.
- Stir in the granulated sugar, flour, lemon peel, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the brown sugar, pecans, and butter until combined.
- Remove foil from pie
- Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over top of pie.
- Bake for 20 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and topping is golden and bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.