Recipe by mary winecoff
These cookies start with a yellow cake mix. Very quick and easy. These come from a back issue of Southern Living Magazine.
Top Review by Shelby Jo
These were very good! It was nice that it used a cake mix -- much easier than some other bar recipes I have. I made exactly as posted and will definitely make them again sometime. A definite crowd pleaser :) Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package milk chocolate chips or 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 25 caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pecans in a single layer in a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350F for 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove nuts from pan.
- Line bottom and sides of pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil.
- Stir together cake mix and oats in a large bowl.
- Stir in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly and dry ingredients are moistened.
- Press half of oat mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate morsels and toasted pecans evenly over oat mixture in pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Microwave caramels and 1 Tablespoon water in a microwave safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until caramels are melted.
- Drizzle evenly over warm bars in pan.
- Let cool on wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Lift baked bars from pan using foil sides as handles.
- Place on cutting board and cut into 24 bars.