Recipe by CookingQueen417
I had a dream where I made the perfect apple pie. when I woke up, I remembered that is was no dream! Pecans, apples, and my secret caramel sauce combine with hints of vanilla, maple, brandy and citrus in a pie so good your grandma might cry!
- 1 cup pecans (whole or pieces, feel free to use your favorites)
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 0.5 (3 ounce) packagevanilla cook-and -serve pudding (NOT INSTANT)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 3 -4 cups peeled and sliced apples (I use a combination of granny smith, golden delicious and bi-color hybrid like braeburn)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or more depending on tartness of your apples)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brandy extract
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 9in deep dish pie pan and line with nuts.
- In small sauce pan combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla pudding, and cinnamon and bring to a low bubble on medium heat, stirring constantly until all the sugar is dissolved. Pour over nuts evenly.
- Top with the first crust.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients together. Add apples and extracts and toss or stir gently to coat.
- Carefully scoop apples into pie crust and even out. Top with remaining crust and pinch the seams together.
- Brush Crust with egg wash if desired, this will be the bottom so not necessary to be too pretty. Prick repeatedly to vent.
- Place on a foil lined cookie sheet. This is Necessary as this pie WILL bubble over!
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then 350 for 1 1/2 hours approximately.
- Remove and let rest for no more than 5 minutes! Loosen from pan and invert onto a large serving platter or pan.
- Remove pie pan gently.
- Let cool briefly and serve with your favorite ice cream. I recommend Vanilla Bean or Butter Pecan.