Recipe by RecipeNut
Toasting the pecans in the oven brings out a wonderful nuttiness that enhances the aroma and flavor of these cupcakes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut up,softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- Place 1 cup of the pecans and 1/4 cup of the sugar in food processor.
- Pulse until finely ground and fluffy, being careful not to make paste.
- In large bowl, beat remaining 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed 5 to 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 cup ground pecans.
- At low speed, beat sour cream into sugar mixture alternately with flour mixture.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- To make frosting, in large bowl beat egg yolks at medium-high speed 5 minutes or until light, fuffy and pale colored.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine 6 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon of the water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar turns golden amber color.
- Remove from heat; carefully add remaining 3 tablespoons water.
- Return to heat; cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add sugar mixture to beaten egg yolks, beating at medium-high speed 5 minutes or until mixture has cooled.
- Add 1/2 cup butter a few pieces at a time; add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spread each cupcake with thick layer of frosting.
- Very finely chop remaining 1/4 cup pecans; roll edges of cupcakes in nuts.
- TIP: To toast pecans, spread on baking sheet; bake at 375°F.
- for 7 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.