Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
DEVINE, HEAVENLY, SCRUMPTIOUS - these are sooo good - takes some time - but well worth it! The recipe came from Gourmet magazine 2003 issue - found it on Epicurious.com - must try!!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
For caramel pecan topping
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped
- For crust:.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan, then line with foil, leaving 2 inch overhang on both ends. Then grease foil.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar in large bowl at medium to high speed with mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Reduce to low speed and add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Press dough evenly onto bottom of prepared baking pan, if necessary use plastic wrap on top of dough to prevent sticking to fingers.
- Chill until firm about 20 minutes.
- While crust chills, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake crust until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack for about 20 minutes and prepare topping.
- For Topping:.
- Cook sugar in heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed until it begins to melt.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with fork, until sugar is melted to deep golden caramel.
- Tilt pan and carefully pour in cream - caramel will harden and steam vigorously.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, salt, and pecans.
- Immediately spread topping over cooled crust and bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely about 2 hours or so.
- Run heavy knife under hot water, wipe dry, then cut confection into 2 inch triangles, diamonds, or squares.