Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This tastes like a gooey pecan bun, but instead it's a gooey chocolate cake smothered in caramel pecan topping, this cake is SOOOO good!
- 1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (or more if desired more sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup break-free liquid egg, well shaken
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a buttered non-stick 10-inch tube pan.
- To make the topping; combine brown sugar, butter and water in a saucepan; boil over medium heat, stirring often, until butter is melted, and mixture is glossy, 3-5 minutes.
- Chop 1/2 cup of the pecans into the caramel mixture.
- Spread evenly into the bottom of a buttered tube pan.
- For the cake; sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, coffee granules, salt and baking soda.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Beat in sugar, vanilla and the Break-Free eggs.
- Alternating, mix in the flour mixture and buttermilk into the butter/egg mixture.
- Drop by spoonfuls of batter over the caramel mixture; spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake test done.
- Turn cake pan over onto a platter, and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan and quickly replace any pecans that might have stuck to the pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.