Recipe by newspapergal
This was in my local newspaper, and I tried it for a Super Bowl party. It's really good, VERY rich -- pretty easy too. Makes a lot, so I think it could be easily halved. (Prep/Cook time does NOT include 4 hours of refrigeration needed)
Top Review by Roxanne J.R.
Oh my goodness! What a wonderful cheesecake! The texture is so creamy and the crust, mmm. The pecans just add a special touch to it. I made this recipe almost as exactly stated. The only change I made was the caramel I used. I did not use Kraft caramels, I used Microwave Caramels (recipe from this site) for the entire recipe. The amount to be used in the batter (36 melted caramels) would be 1¼ cups. This cheesecake baked up perfectly and I did not top it with the nuts and caramel right away because sometimes I like plain cheesecake. When enjoyed plain, you can tell that it is a caramel cheesecake. The flavour is subtle yet noticeable and perfect on it's own. I added caramel and pecans to individual servings and wow, just looking at it was like eye candy - digging into it was heavenly! Thanks for the recipe. Delightful!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, divided
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix crumbs, 1/2 cup pecans, granulated sugar and butter.
- Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil; press crumbs firmly onto bottom of pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, brown sugar, flour and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Mixture will be pretty thick.
- Add sour cream; mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended.
- Place 36 caramels and 1 tablespoon water in microwavable bowl.
- Microwave on high 1 minute or until caramels are completely melted when stirred.
- Add melted caramels to cream cheese batter; stir until well blended.
- The caramel will become kind of stringy through the batter as the caramels cool.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Sprinkle cheesecake with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- ****The recipe calls for melting the remaining caramels and 1 Tbsp of water and drizzling over it, but I did this when I made it and found that the caramel immediately cools and becomes very very sticky.
- I think next time I make it, I will use some caramel ice cream topping to drizzle on top instead.