Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Caramel and Cheesecake-nuff said.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 26 caramels
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Finely grind nuts and sugar in processor.
- Add melted butter and blend until moist crumbs form.
- Press crumb mixture onto bottom only of springform pan.
- Cook caramels and milk until melted.
- Drizzle over crust.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just to combine after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake until top appears dry and cheesecake no longer moves in center when pan is shaken, about 1 hour.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate over night.
- Release pan sides from cheesecake.
- Prep time does not include overnight chilling.
This cheesecake is very rich, and very sweet. I'm rating it at 4-stars because I think the crust has too much butter (WAY too much). When I combined the butter with the ground nuts and sugar, it was like a paste, not crumbly. I had to spread it into the pan, and when I baked it, butter was oozing out of the bottom and burning on the bottom of my oven. The rest of the cheesecake is good, but VERY sweet.
I've been making this for several years. This is my husband's favorite. I use caramel sauce on top of the pecans in the crust instead of the caramels and sweetened condensed milk. On top I drizzle more caramel and some pecans. I also use the cheesecake batter for regular cheesecakes with rave reviews, too.
I took the advice of the previous reviewer and reduced the butter in the crust to two (2) tablespoons and it came out great. My son is a caramel addict and he absolutely loved this. Definitely on the do again list.