Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These bars are a big favourite with my family at Christmas but they are so yummy, you can serve them any time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 25 caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- To make the base, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in egg and nuts.
- Mix well.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the crumb mixture.
- Press the remainder firmly on the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- To make the topping, heat the sweetened condensed milk, caramels and butter in a saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly until smoothly melted.
- Pour over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly on top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.