Recipe by Bayhill
I have been making this pie for my family for years. When my son was young, he would ask me to make "caramel apples in a pie".
Top Review by SB6
Very good apple pie. I cooked as directed & fortunately checked it after 25 minutes. It was a bit overcooked already. Still had a good flavor but I plan to make for a friend next week & will check it earlier. Made for your Football Pool win.
- 9 inch unbaked double pie crusts
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, melted
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
- 7-8 apples, peeled and sliced
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml water
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour into the bottom of the pie crust; spread to cover bottom.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and cover with chopped pecans.
- Place apple slices in pie crust over the nuts and sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Sprinkle over the apple slices.
- Sprinkle with water and dot apple slices with additional butter.
- Place top crust over apples and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- If fluted edges start to get too dark, cover with foil.