Recipe by Bayhill
I have been making this pie for my family for years. When my son was young, he would ask me to make "caramel apples in a pie".
Top Review by SB6
Very good apple pie. I cooked as directed & fortunately checked it after 25 minutes. It was a bit overcooked already. Still had a good flavor but I plan to make for a friend next week & will check it earlier. Made for your Football Pool win.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked double pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 7 -8 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour into the bottom of the pie crust; spread to cover bottom.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and cover with chopped pecans.
- Place apple slices in pie crust over the nuts and sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Sprinkle over the apple slices.
- Sprinkle with water and dot apple slices with additional butter.
- Place top crust over apples and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- If fluted edges start to get too dark, cover with foil.