Recipe by Elly in Canada
A delicious way to use fresh ripe pears in a creamy caramel pie.. A very impressive tart to serve to your guests.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 500 ml
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, 50 ml
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cubed 75 ml
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream, 125 ml
Filling and Topping
- 1 cup granulated sugar, 250 ml
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided 375 ml
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 30 ml
- 3 pears, firm, ripe (Bosc or Bartlett)
- 1⁄3 cup water, 75 ml
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, combine flour and sugar; sprinkle with butter cubes.
- Pulse until fine crumbs. Drizzle in cream and process until dough clumps together.
- Press into a 10-inch (25 cm) tart pan with removable bottom. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling and topping:.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar and 1/3 cup (75 mL) water, stirring until dissolved.
- Bring to boil; boil gently until syrup is a deep caramel colour. Carefully add 3/4 cup (175 mL) cream; stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Peel pears; cut in half lengthwise and remove stems and cores.
- Cut each half crosswise into thin slices, keeping shape intact.
- Place flat side down in tart shell, fanning slices out slightly.
- Set 1/4 cup (50 mL) caramel aside for topping.
- In a bowl, whisk egg with flour until smooth; whisk in remaining caramel until blended. Pour evenly over pears.
- Bake in bottom of oven for about 45 minutes until crust is golden and custard is set.
- Let cool until slightly warm.
- In a bowl, whip remaining cream; fold in reserved caramel.
- Serve slices of tart with a dollop of caramel cream.
- Rich and delicious!