Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 6 cups peeled sliced ripe pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 18 caramels
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Add together in a large bowl, the pears and lemon juice; toss.
- In a different bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add to pears; stir gently to mix well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the pastry shell.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, and remaining sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt caramels with milk, over low heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add pecans.
- Drizzle over pie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool pie on a wire rack.
Wow, YUM! My husband isn't a dessert guy, but he LOVED this pie. I made my own caramel but otherwise followed the recipe as is. Definitely a new favorite pie.
I love this pie! It is a little more time consuming than I usually take to bake but it is well worth it. We have also baked this pie using apples instead of pears. We omitted the nutmeg and used a full teaspoon of cinnimon. My kids do not like nuts so we leave them of sometimes, expecially on the apple version. Thanks for a great recipe.
This pie was just heavenly! I love pears and this was a wonderful way to enjoy them. Instead of tapioca I used cornstarch.Thanks for a winner!