Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a friend in Weiser, ID named Wendy Fitch.
- 1 3⁄4 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) bag vanilla caramels
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease 9x13 pan.
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix until crumbly.Reserve 1 C of mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- Top with nuts, then chocolate chips.
- In medium saucepan, melt caramels with the water over low heat. Stir until Smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle caramel over chocolate pcs to within 1/4" of pan edge.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
- Continue baking 15-18 minutes. Cool.
- Chil until chocolate is set. Cut into bars.
This recipe turned out wonderful! I was craving something sweet and this recipe caught my eye. I've never heard of a recipe like this before and am glad that I tried it. Thank you for posting!
What a treat LL. These squares are the bomb, sweet, chocolatey and chewy. The kids on my street went crazy for these as did my dh, he enjoyed these little treats so much I had to hide the rest to get one. Thanks so much for sharing.