Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from a friend in Weiser, ID named Wendy Fitch.
Top Review by Robin R.
this recipe is one that I have used for many years and is always well received. I have found that it helps to make it in a foil lined pan that you then pull the whole thing out of the pan when cooled, remove the foil and then cut the bars on a cutting board. Also note that caramels don't come in 14 oz. bags anymore, usually 11 or 12 oz. bags.
- 1 3⁄4 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) bag vanilla caramels
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease 9x13 pan.
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix until crumbly.Reserve 1 C of mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- Top with nuts, then chocolate chips.
- In medium saucepan, melt caramels with the water over low heat. Stir until Smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle caramel over chocolate pcs to within 1/4" of pan edge.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
- Continue baking 15-18 minutes. Cool.
- Chil until chocolate is set. Cut into bars.