Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy oat bars filled with a gooey layer of caramel, chocolate and nuts!
- 32 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt together the caramels and heavy cream, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well blended.
- Press Half of the mixture into the bottom of a 8 X 8 inch baking pan.
- Reserve the rest.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove and sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the top and then crumble the remaining crust mixture over everything.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-18 minutes, or until the top is lightly toasted and the caramel is bubbling up around the edges of the pan.
- Cut into squares after the bars have cooled.